A Look Inside the New Sanford Coyote Sports Center at USD
The long overdue basketball and volleyball facility on the campus of the University of South Dakota is nearly complete.
The Sanford Coyote Sports Center seats 6,000 and will host its first event August 30, 2016, when the USD volleyball team takes on North Dakota.
Recently, members of the media were given a chance to tour the facility, which is part of $60 million in new and upgraded venues on campus, in Vermillion.
Besides the volleyball and basketball arena, the SCSC houses:
- Athletic department offices
- Athletic training facilities
- Weight training room
- VIP areas to watch basketball and volleyball in the SCSC, and football at the adjoining DakotaDome
- Spearate locker room and lounge areas for the men's and women's basketball teams, and the volleyball team
- A film/media room for team meetings
- A video production room that controls the display boards at each of the Coyotes sporting venues
- Practice court
- Area for future creation of physical therapy classrooms
Senior Associate Athlertic Director David Williams says there have only been two minor delays in the construction.
University officials were not satisfied with the original paint job on the arena floor and the contractor has since repainted the surface.
The original design for the arena lights would have made changing bulbs quite difficult. The lights have now been modified to make that process easier.
The university expects to take full control of the building in the next few days. Williams says there are still quite a few cosmetic enhancements to be made before the facility is completely finished.