Beer Is Not Just For Drinking Anymore!
Sure it's a staple for many weekend, holiday and vacation celebrations, but did you know that beer has numerous household uses too? I mean sure, everyone knows about the cooking thing but what else?
- Stain remover- Believe it or not, beer can and will remove coffee and tea stains from carpeting. Pour a little onto the stain and use a soft absorbent cloth to absorb the beer and the stain. If it doesn't come out right away, repeat the process a couple of times.
- Meat marinade- But not just because it is delicious. According to the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry marinading meat in beer helps to reduce those cancer-causing carcinogenic hydrocarbons that form when we grill our beloved meaty favorites!
- Bug repellent- Put a small amount in several containers far from your main gathering area to draw the pesties to it. But make sure it is stale, dark beer. Supposedly the little beasts are more attracted to it.
- Hair conditioner - Beer adds nutrients and brings out the shine in your hair. Just don't forget to rinse it out with cool water or your boss may think you're imbibing on the job!
- Polishing wood furniture - Bartenders have known this forever, I guess. Wipe on the beer with a soft cloth and wipe it off with another dry cloth.
I may have to try that last one, my piano is looking pretty dull. But my favorite thing to do with beer, (besides drink it, of course) is put it in stew or when I grill brats, I like to parboil them in beer for a few minutes first and then put them on the grill. Yum!
For a few more suggestions, check out this video: