History Between the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers
They might only play once every four years, but there is plenty of history when it comes to the Vikings and Steelers playing against each other.
Minnesota and Pittsburgh are separated by just one game in their matchup history. The Vikings lead the series 8-7, and broke the tie with a win over Pittsburgh in London in 2013.
To find the first ever meeting between the two teams, we have to go way back to the 1960s. Minnesota won the first two games played between the two in the 1967 and 1969 seasons.
Pittsburgh would get revenge on the Vikings the next two times they played. The Steelers would win a regular season game in 1972, and then of course defeat the Vikings in the Super Bowl in 1975.
Both teams continued to trade wins and losses throughout the next four decades. Minnesota never won more than two games in a row over Pittsburgh, while the Steelers longest winning streak over the Vikings has been three games.
Also of note, Minnesota will be looking to win its first game at Heinz Field (outside of a preseason game) since the stadium opened in 2002. The Vikings have played just one other time there back in 2009 when Roethlisberger and company downed Favre's Vikings 27-17.
Following the game this weekend, Minnesota and Pittsburgh won't play again until the 2021 season.
Here's the full series history between the two. Information courtesy of Mcubed.net
- 9/29/13: Vikings 34, Steelers 27 (London)
- 10/25/09 (PIT): Steelers 27, Vikings 17
- 12/18/05 (MIN): Steelers 18, Vikings 3
- 12/02/01 (PIT): Steelers 21, Vikings 16
- 9/24/95 (PIT): Vikings 44, Steelers 24
- 12/20/92 (PIT): Vikings 6, Steelers 3
- 9/24/89 (PIT): Steelers 27, Vikings 14
- 9/21/86 (MIN): Vikings 31, Steelers 7
- 11/20/83 (PIT): Vikings 17, Steelers 14
- 10/05/80 (MIN): Steelers 23, Vikings 10
- 10/04/76 (MIN): Vikings 17, Steelers 6
- 01/12/75: Steelers 16, Vikings 6 (Super Bowl)
- 11/26/72 (PIT): Steelers 23, Vikings 10
- 11/23/69 (MIN): Vikings 52, Steelers 14
- 11/26/67 (MIN): Vikings 41, Steelers 27