Jerry Palleschi’s Class 11AAA, 11AA Football Poll October 26
The regular season has come to an end and the playoffs start this week. Here is the last football poll of the season.
Class 11AAA was highlighted this past weekend with a game between Washington and Roosevelt. The two teams needed double overtime to find separation, and it was Washington with the 10-7 win. Roosevelt lost quarterback Jett Thune for the rest of the season due to a broken bone in his foot.
Sioux Falls O'Gorman clinched the third seed with a 33-7 win against Lincoln. The Patriots, who had an opportunity to jump to the third seed potentially, will now have to travel to face Brandon Valley. The Lynx are coming off a 31-7 win over Aberdeen Central.
My ranking this week for 11AAA is for the most part the same. I do believe that Thune's absence makes the line between Roosevelt and O'Gorman much closer. However, I also think that a week of game-planning and a game against Rapid City Stevens will help backup quarterback Torren Devericks get more comfortable. Lincoln does have the head-to-head win over Brandon Valley, but I have a hard time putting them in front after not following that up with after the result against O'Gorman combined with Brandon Valley's performance against Aberdeen.
1) Sioux Falls Washington (8-1). Last week: #1. Win vs. Roosevelt 10-7 2OT
2) Sioux Falls Roosevelt (7-2). Last week: #2. Loss vs. Washington 10-7 2OT
3) Sioux Falls O'Gorman (7-2). Last week: #3. Win vs. Lincoln 33-7
4) Brandon Valley (6-3). Last week: #5. Win vs. Aberdeen Central 31-7
5) Sioux Falls Lincoln (5-4). Last week: #4. Loss vs. O'Gorman 33-7
Class 11AA is just as crazy as it was since the season started. We have had a lot of shifting going on in my rankings every week, and it's no different this week either. I've taken a wait-and-see approach on Yankton since two straight shutout losses to Pierre and O'Gorman. Since that time they have reeled off three straight wins and claimed the top seed in the 11AA playoffs (by seed points, not record).
Pierre finished with the top record in the regular season at 7-2 and finished the schedule with two straight wins. Mitchell and Brookings were both winners also in the final week. The 11AA playoffs could be a lot of fun to watch this year.
1) Pierre (7-2). Last week: #1. Win vs. Sturgis Brown 34-14
2) Yankton (6-3). Last week: #4. Win vs. Harrisburg 28-0
3) Mitchell (6-3). Last week: #2. Win vs. Huron 16-7
4) Harrisburg (5-4). Last week: #3. Loss vs. Yankton 28-0
5) Brookings (4-5). Last week: #5. Win vs. Watertown 19-14
Here are the playoff games for both classes this week. All games will be played on Thursday night.
4:30 - (8) Watertown @ (1) Washington. (on ESPN 99.1)
6:00 - (6) Aberdeen Central @ (3) O'Gorman
7:00 - (5) Lincoln @ (4) Brandon Valley
7:30 - (7) Rapid City Stevens @ (2) Roosevelt (on ESPN 99.1)
6:00 - (6) Spearfish @ (3) Mitchell
7:00 - (8) Huron @ (1) Yankton
7:00 - (7) Douglas @ (2) Pierre
7:00 - (5) Brookings @ (4) Harrisburg