Jerry Palleschi’s Class 11AAA, 11AA Football Poll September 28
Teams have been shifting the past couple of weeks in my poll, but this week there isn't a lot of change as teams in both conferences took care of business.
The top five teams in Class 11AAA did what everyone thought they would do this past weekend. Roosevelt and Washington easily beat the Rapid City schools. O'Gorman celebrated homecoming with a 32 point win against Watertown. Brandon Valley picked up a 30-6 win against Harrisburg. Finally, the Lincoln Patriots are back on the winning track with a shutout 28-0 win over Aberdeen Central. To make it even more easy, nothing has changed in my top five.
For the most part the top three are set. Brandon Valley and Lincoln could be up for debate. I kept Brandon Valley ahead as they have progressed during the season, and their two losses are against Washington and O'Gorman. Lincoln, even in the shutout win, were plagued with penalties and missed opportunities against Aberdeen Central.
1) Sioux Falls Roosevelt (5-0). Last Week #1. Win vs. RC Stevens 40-9
2) Sioux Falls Washington (4-1). Last Week #2. Win vs. RC Central 62-7
3) Sioux Falls O'Gorman (3-2). Last Week #3. Win vs. Watertown 42-10
4) Brandon Valley (3-2). Last Week #4. Win vs. Harrisburg 30-6
5) Sioux Falls Lincoln (3-2). Last Week #5. Win vs. Aberdeen Central 28-0.
Class 11AA has a stand-alone team at the top and it was proven this past weekend. Pierre (5-0) defeated a banged up Yankton team 31-0. Everything under Pierre at this point is a mash of teams that have experienced a rollercoaster of a season. Brookings continued their winning streak by beating Huron 54-12. Harrisburg suffered the 30-6 loss to 11AAA Brandon Valley as mentioned. The fifth spot in the 11AA poll has been a debate between Mitchell and Spearfish from the beginning of the year. We have clarity now as Mitchell defeated Spearfish 49-42.
The real debate in rankings of 11AA is between Brookings and Yankton. The Bucks did defeat the Bobcats in 5OT during the first week of the season. Since that time though, Yankton has managed wins against Mitchell and Aberdeen Central. Brookings has been impressive over the last few weeks defeating Douglas, Lincoln, and Huron. With the injuries to Yankton, if the two teams were to play again at this point I think Brookings would have the advantage.
1) Pierre (5-0). Last Week #1. Win vs. Yankton 31-0
2) Brookings (3-2). Last Week #3. Win vs. Huron 54-12
3) Yankton (3-2). Last Week #2. Loss to Pierre 31-0
4) Harrisburg (2-3). Last Week #4. Loss to Brandon Valley 30-6
5) Mitchell (3-2). Last Week #5. Win vs. Spearfish 49-42