Off the Tee: Fed Ex Cup Playoff Progress Report, BMW Championship Preview, David Feherty Jumps Ship
We've reached the halfway point of golf's version of the post season, the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs, and already some interesting story lines are starting to develop.
In this edition of "Off The Tee" with Joel Harrington from 4 Deep Golf Blog, we talk about what we've seen so far, and what to expect going forward.
Here are some of the headlines:
- Rickie Fowler wins the Deutsche Bank Championship. It's Fowler's third big victory of the year, since being named by his peers as the most overrated player on the PGA Tour. Joel says Rickie may not be in the upper tier of the world's best, yet, but he isn't that far out of the discussion.
- The third leg of the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs is this week in suburban Chicago with the BMW Championship. Joel says the usual suspects are the favorites, but
Sergio Garcia may make things interesting, as he plays in his first playoff event of the year.
- Jay Haas and Nick Price are the captains for October's President's Cup in South Korea. Joel says the real surprise was the last man picked for Team USA.
- The 2015-16 season is already less than a month away, and the season opening Frys.com event will feature both Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy. Joel says there's a good reason these two will be in the field.
- David Feherty joins Golf Channel and NBC Sports after leaving CBS. Joel says it's a major get for NBC, but the move might not be as surprising as you might think.
- Sioux Falls native Tommy Vining made quite a splash in his debut on the University of Minnesota golf team, while former South Dakota amateur champ Shannon Johnson had quite a finish in Missouri. Joel says he's not surprised by either golfers sterling play.
Listen to my complete interview with Joel here: