UPDATE: Empire Mall Shooting Suspects Arrested in Minnesota Charged with Murder
UPDATE: The Thursday night shooting near the Empire Mall is now a murder investigation. According to the Sioux Falls Police Department the victim, Anthony Lee Gabriel died on Sunday from the shooting.
Police Lt. Matt Burns made the announcement during the regular police briefing on Monday. Burns went on to say 17-year old Conner Bryon Hanson and 19-year old Robert Edward Montes will face amended charges of 1st and 2nd degree murder, and 1st degree manslaughter and will be extradited from Lyon County Minnesota.
Police continue to search for a 9 millimeter handgun associated with the shooting. All three individuals knew each other and were in an argument when the shooting occurred.
A female passenger and a baby where unhurt when Gabriel was shot in the vehicle. Conner and Hanson were located in Marshall, MN after police investigation indicated they may be in that area. They were spotted on the street and taken into custody. At this time the crime does not appear to be gang related.
UPDATE: As of 8:00 PM on Friday evening the Sioux Falls Police Department revealed that the two Empire Mall shooting suspects had been arrested in Marshall, Minnesota. The following is from the official press release from Sioux Falls Police:
During the follow-up investigation into this shooting, detectives with the Sioux Falls Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit obtained arrest warrants in the amounts of $1 million cash for Connor Byron Hanson (age 17) and Robert Edward Montes (age 19) both residents of Sioux Falls, for Attempted 1st Degree Murder and Aggravated Assault. The investigation showed that both subjects had traveled to an address in Marshall, MN. Working with the Marshall Police Department, SFPD detectives were able to locate and arrest both Hanson and Montes on those warrants. They were lodged in Lyon County, MN pending extradition proceedings. The arrest affidavit is on file with the Minnehaha County Clerk of Courts. Further details will be released at the 10:30 briefing on Monday.
During a Friday police briefing, Sioux Falls Police Information Officer Sam Clemens says an argument late Thursday night led to a shooting in southwest Sioux Falls. Clemens says two groups of people had an argument and chased each other around Sioux Falls.
Near the intersection of 49th Street and Louise Avenue, a suspect began firing at the vehicle behind them. The driver, an 18-year-old man was struck in the head.
A 20-year old passenger took control of the vehicle and called police. A 5-month old girl was in the backseat. The woman and child were not injured.
Clemens says police are searching for 17-year old Conner Hanson (left) and 19-year-old Robert Montes. The two are reported to be dangerous and should not be approached.
Clemens says "these people were shooting a gun at other people. The public is in danger until we can find them.
The victim was transported to Sanford Hospital with life threatening injuries.
The investigation is ongoing.