South Dakota Championship History for All State Bound Teams
Seven high school football champions will be crowned this week in Vermillion. Some have been there many times, while some are making their first appearance.
South Dakota has crowned champions dating back, but the current "modern era" championship format started in 1981 through the South Dakota High School Activities Association.
A team such as Washington, for example, claims 36 state championships between 1905-1976. For this purpose we will only focus on the titles claimed since the format was established in 1981.
Tea Area will be making their first ever appearance in a state championship game. Webster Area will play for a 9AA championship for the first time after winning three prior titles in 11B. Harrisburg will play for a championship in its third class, which is something that no other team has done.
Championship week begins on Thursday and continues through Saturday.
- 9AA - Gregory vs. Webster Area (10:30 AM)
- 9A - Warner vs. Colman-Egan (1:30 PM)
- 9B - Langford Area vs. Colome (7:30 PM)
- 11B - Winner vs. Groton Area (1:00 PM)
- 11AA - Mitchell vs. Harrisburg (7:00 PM)
- 11A - Tea Area vs. Madison (1:00 PM)
- 11AAA - Washington vs. Brandon Valley (7:00 PM)