Start the New Year With a First Day Hike at a State Park
On January 1, start 2017 with with a guided outdoor exploration at a South Dakota state park. The sixth annual First Day Hike encourages everyone to celebrate the New Year and our state's natural beauty.
“First Day Hikes are a great way to cure cabin fever and burn off those extra holiday calories by starting off the New Year with an invigorating walk or hike in one of our beautiful state parks,” said South Dakota state park director Katie Ceroll.
The sponsored hikes range from less than one mile journeys to longer, more intense workouts, depending on the terrain. South Dakota is offering eight hikes across the state.
First Day Hikes Near Sioux Falls
- Winter Wonderland Nature Hike, Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon, 2:00 PM CT
- Winter Nature Hike, Good Earth State Park near Sioux Falls, 2:00 PM CT
- First Day Hike, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Brookings, 1:00 PM CT
- Lewis and Clark First Day Snowshoe Hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, 1:00 PM CT
- First Day Hike, Fort Sisseton Historic State Park near Lake City, 3:00 PM CT
First Day Hikes in the Black Hills:
- First Day Snowshoe Hike, George S. Mickelson Trail, Englewood Trailhead, 1:00 PM MT. Pre-registration required: 605.384.3896
- First Day Hike, Custer State Park near Custer, 10:00 PM MT
- Bird Watcher’s Hike, Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs, 1:00 PM MT
Source: Sioux Falls GFP