Ten Worst Stadium and Arena Names in the United States
Now that the Chicago White Sox have entered their stadium in the running, here's a list of the ten worst stadium and arena names in the United States.
The Chicago White Sox really do have a stupid new stadium name with the new corporate agreement with Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Company. Guaranteed Rate Field is awful enough to make it into our top ten, but just how bad is it?
We had three people in office narrow down the list to the 10 worst names, and then vote on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst) on each venue to get the order.
Ranking, Name, City, Votes
10) KFC YUM! Center (Louisville, 28)
- The general consensus would be that if this was just the "KFC Center" that it wouldn't be on the list. The "YUM!" throws it into a different category, and it also gets thrown straight into the list of the worst arena/stadium names.
9) Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (Louisville, 26)
- Louisville sure loves their corporate sponsors and they put another on this list. At least the colors match but, unless we're getting free pizza by attending, it would just be better as "Cardinal Stadium" and holding tradition.
8) Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, 23)
- Nothing screams badass like walking into a stadium named after jeans. Having been there before, I can at least say that it's a nice venue but it doesn't take away from how bad the name is. Some of the entrances/exits resemble more of the 510 brand, while the stadium has kind of a 559 feel. Okay, I'm done.
7) Golden 1 Center (Sacramento, 22)
- We all give them credit in Sacramento. They have been able to hang on to a NBA team and do so while in a outdated arena with a FEW terrible names. But the biggest credit is that "Golden 1 Center" is actually an UPGRADE from what it use to be. Still bad enough to make our top 10, but they are ranked 7th and not in the top 5 because it isn't named the "Sleep Train Arena" any more.
T5) Smoothie King Center (New Orleans, 21)
T5) Camping World Stadium (Orlando, 21)
- We had a tie when it comes to the 6th and 5th spots on this list. The Smoothie King Center in New Orleans is home to the Pelicans (anyone like that name for a team?) while Camping World Stadium is the famous Orlando Citrus Bowl. Both are equally bad but the combination of a smoothie and camping doesn't sound too crazy.
4) Vivant Smart Home Arena (Salt Lake City, 12)
- It was very easy to figure out what venues were the worst and it is shown by how low are votes are. Vivant Smart Home Arena is home to the Utah Jazz and was formerly known as the Delta Center and EnergySolutions Arena. The new deal with Vivant runs for 10 years and the name of the arena will probably be outdated within 4 years with how fast technology changes. Guess it's just keeping up with the actual arena itself.
3) Gila River Arena (Formerly Known As the Jobing.com Arena) (Glendale, 7)
- There is just a stigma with this arena and it really has nothing to do with the current name. The arena is currently named the Gila River Arena, which on the surface seems weird that a arena would be named after a river. Truthfully, it is named after a string of casinos that are ran by the Gila River Indian Tribe. The PREVIOUS name of this place still has us laughing to a point of putting it in the top 3. Who names an arena "Jobing.com Arena?"
2) Talking Stick Resort Arena (Phoenix, 6)
- I love this arena. I had the chance to visit it when I went to Phoenix back in 2010 and the place is spectacular. It was previously named US Airways Center, but the name changed at the end of 2014. Now named the Talking Stick Resort Arena, a casino resort in Scottsdale, it has made our list for the second worst name in the United States.
1) Guaranteed Rate Field (Chicago, 5)
- This is how bad of a name the Chicago White Sox now have for a stadium. Think the only guaranteed rate they have of making the playoffs is about 0%.