Baseball’s Hall of Fame Tour Is Coming to the Midwest This Summer
As a kid, I was lucky enough to visit the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York. I remember being awed by the seemingly endless exhibits of memorabilia and the countless number of hall of fame plaques, from some of the biggest names in the game, covering the walls.
This year, the shrine to America's National Pastime is turning 75 and if traveling to upstate New York isn't in your budget - don't worry - the hall is bringing some of its best known items, plus some new twists, to the Midwest, with stops in Davenport, Iowa; Kansas City; and Bloomington, Minnesota.
The first-ever Baseball Hall of Fame Tour will combine some of the cherished relics of the game's past - like the cap Jackie Robinson wore during the 1955 World Series and the baseball that Babe Ruth hit for his 714th home run - with cutting-edge technology.
Enhancing the fan experience will be a mobile IMAX theater showcasing an original IMAX film highlighting the past, present and future of baseball. The film will feature never-before-seen new content as well as historical footage.
The tour will also feature several incredible interactive opportunities:
- Putting fans in the batter's box through digital imaging. Imagine staring down a 90+ mph fastball from Clayton Kershaw.
- Letting fans take "virtual batting practice" in the ballparks of their choice with their favorite Hall-of-Fame pitchers. Face Nolan Ryan's fastball?
- Check. A knuckleball from Phil Niekro? Check that, too.
- Giving fans the chance to play Rickey Henderson, trying to steal a base and beat a throw to second base by Johnny Bench.
- A 3-D virtual experience to break down the sciences behind a slider, a knuckle ball and a curve ball.
- Providing fans the opportunity to meet the stars of the exhibit- through a Hall of Fame bullpen of players, team owners, managers and scouts.
- A digital scoreboard on mobile devices that will provide information about the exhibits, guest celebrities and daily events.
- Digital photo opportunities where consumers can make their own baseball cards and share them across social media platforms.
Baseball Hall of Fame Tour - 2016 schedule (locations less than 500 miles from Sioux Falls):
- Davenport, IA (Modern Woodmen Park) - July 3-10
- Kansas City, MO (Kauffman Stadium) - August 5-21
- Bloomington, MN (Mall of America) - September 16-29
Tickets are $26 for adults, $22 for seniors and military, $17 for students ages 11 and up, $10 children ages 4-10, children three and under FREE.
Get your Hall of Fame Tour tickets here.