No. 25 Cougars Kick Off Division Play Saturday Against SMSU
SIOUX FALLS, SD -- No. 25 Sioux Falls begins Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference South Division play Saturday when it hosts Southwest Minnesota State University at Bob Young Field. The Cougars look to defend their 48-game home conference win streak and defeat SMSU in their first meeting in over 30 years. The Mustangs hold a 3-1 advantage, having won the last three contests of the series.
FIRST AND 10
• The last time USF and SMSU met, the Mustangs won handedly, 24-6 at Howard Wood Field (10/20/79).
• The Cougars' lone win against SMSU came in their first meeting, when USF edged the Mustangs, 13-6 at Legion Field in Marshall, Minn. (9/21/68). SMSU responded with three wins straight, two in Sioux Falls (9/20/69) and one in Marshall (10/21/78).
• Since 2001, the Cougars have tallied 48 consecutive conference wins at home.
• SMSU (1-3) is the third team USF faces with a losing record this season
• Saturday marks the Cougars first NSIC South Division opponent
• USF joined No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth and No. 15 Minnesota State, receiving 57 votes Monday to make its first ever appearance in the AFCA DII Poll at No. 25. They also debuted at No. 25 in the D2.com Top 25 poll released Tuesday.
• With 11 takeaways, including nine Ints, the Cougars have a turnover margin of +1.50, which is the 15th-best in the nation
• Senior WR Jeremiah Oates extended his TD streak to five games last week and now boasts an impressive 16 TD receptions in 13 games as a Cougars. Through week four, he is two scores (7) shy of his 2011 total (9).
• It has been 19 games since the Cougars have allowed a single player to rush for 100 yards. The last player to do so was Josh Endres of Dakota Wesleyan (10/23/10).
• SMSU has two local products listed on their depth chart in former Washington Warriors Adam Iverson and their starting FS, Joe Stupka.
Courtesy: University of Sioux Falls