Senior Spotlight: Harrisburg Tigers Continue Consistent Class AA Run
Some may have expected the Harrisburg Tigers to drop in the standings in 2019-2020, but three seniors made sure that wouldn't be the case.
After a semifinal run in 2018-2019 and losing a Division-I prospect along with some other key contributors, there were some who believed that the Tigers would fall into the middle of the Class AA standings. As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast."
To understand the pressure and the expectations, the Harrisburg Tigers girl's basketball program has been on a roll since 2013 when they won a Class A championship. Harrisburg transitioned to Class AA the following year and each season they have played in the state's highest class has featured a minimum of 14 wins and a state basketball appearance.
Harrisburg was led by three seniors that made sure the program continued the great tradition. Aby Phipps, Faith Van Holland, and Taylor Kippes all led the Tigers to a 13-0 start on the season and a 16-4 regular-season finish. Following a SoDak16 57-40 win over Pierre, the Tigers were set to enter as the fourth overall seed in the Class AA state basketball tournament. Phipps and Van Holland have been starters over the past few years, while Kippes played off the bench.
"We can’t thank our seniors enough for their hard work and commitment to our program these past four years!" - Nick Mayer, Harrisburg Head Coach
Aby Phipps, SG
- A three-year starter for Harrisburg at guard.
- Led the Tigers in total points scored this season. Averaged 11.4 points/game and 4.4 rebounds/game.
- College: Augustana University (Basketball). Major = Exercise science.
"Aby has been an incredible leader for our program. She helped to set up our lifting program last summer and made sure that we continued that commitment throughout this season. She is someone younger players look up to and want to emulate. She has left a lasting legacy on our program both on and off the floor." - Nick Mayer
Faith Van Holland, SF
- Faith started on the varsity roster in her junior and senior seasons.
- Averaged 9.0 points/game and 4.0 rebounds/game. Shot 40% from the field this season.
- College: Dordt (Basketball). Major = Exercise science.
"Faith has lead by both words and example. She is a player who is always talking and always encouraging. Her commitment to our program has been awesome and she is another senior who our younger kids look up to. She has left a lasting legacy on our program both on and off the floor." - Nick Mayer
Taylor Kippes, SG
- Has been on the varsity roster over the last couple of years primarily as a role player.
- Averaged about 1.0 point/game, grabbed 7 steals, and shot a perfect 100% from the free-throw line.
- College: University of South Dakota. Major = Nursing.
"Taylor has been another incredible senior leader for our squad this year. She has lead by both words and example. In practice, she is the first to volunteer for drills, she asks great questions and holds other players accountable. She has left a lasting legacy on our program both on and off the floor." - Nick Mayer
Congratulations to Aby, Faith, and Taylor for a great high school basketball career!
In conjunction with Scott Van Pelt's Senior Spotlight, each day ESPN 99.1 will highlight our local seniors for their accomplishments on the court throughout their careers.